Why 'Exclusive' Games Are Damaging the Industry

We've all been there at one point or another, there's this game on the release calender that looks so amazingly awesome that you just have to play it or you'll die inside, but, the game is only coming out on a console you don't own...

This, unfortunately is the story of my life, though hopefully not for long. I don't happen to have a PS3, everything else, sure, but not a PS3, and this is really ticking me off, because you have no idea how many PS3 exclusive titles I have been desperate to play.
Even non-Nintendo owners know Mario, but it's only fair he's strictly Ninty, after all, he is the Nintendo mascot, and practically makes Nintendo, it's the same with Pokemon, anywhere else, it just doesn't make sense.
Contrary to what you may think though, this isn't just me venting my rage at the PS3, so just hear me out. The issue here is that so many of these exclusive games don't need to be exclusive but for some stupid reason they are. Sure, games like the Mario series should be exclusive to Nintendo, he's their character after all, it's the same with Halo and the Xbox, exclusives are fine there, but when you take games like the beautiful upcoming PS3 exclusive 'Final Fantasy Versus XIII' I can't help but wonder "Yeah why can't I play this?"
Kingdom Hearts is another series made up of exclusives over various consoles, from the original PS2 games, to the GBA's Chain of Memories (Pictured), to the PSP's Birth by Sleep, to the DS' 365/2 Days and  Re:Coded, to the most recent 3DS Dream Drop Distance, crap titles aside, it seems KH has been everywhere but the 360 and PS3, but only one console at a time, needlessly.
Regular readers may be aware that my all-time favorite game series is the 'Tales of' series, and the next installment, 'Tales of Graces - F', will be coming out on PS3 at the end of this month, oh, and did I mention the game after, 'Tales of Xillia' will be coming out on PS3 only as well, but I still don't get why. The 'Tales of' games have come out on literally every console when you don't count the PC, and each one has been an exclusive, but if they're able to release one on every console why can't they just release every game on every console. The 'Tales of' series has a pretty small fanbase in the western world, and the games are very rare, but that's not the main problem with Namco-Bandai's business model, and every other exclusive developer for that matter, I mean, isn't it a bit much to assume that every person that will want to buy your game will actually OWN the console you're releasing it on? it's all well and good releasing an amazing game, but it's only a waste if nobody is able to buy it. Once again reverting to a personal perspective, I love the Tales games so much that I'd gladly buy and play them all, but I can't buy PS3 Tales games, like I can buy every other one, bringing me to my key point: DEVELOPERS ARE LOSING SALES OVER THIS!
Tales of Graces - F, a game that will NOT soon be coming to a TV near me
So that's the main problem here, developers like Namco-Bandai, Square Enix (Kingdom Hearts), Gust Corporation (Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland, another game I desperately want) and even Nintendo (who could have easily released Kid Icarus - Uprising with a far less awkward control system on the Wii for all the Wii owners out there that don't own a 3DS) are just losing sales! Let's face it, with all specializing going on, it's a wonder certain game developers are still in business.