Are we worrying about the wrong thing?

This will be another short post but a very topical one.
Recently David Cameron said that Britain is a Christian country so we should keep following the bank holidays during Easter law.
I agree with this, well done David, everyone should have a day off that is compulsory.
However this isn't what my facebook feed is full of, nor what is on the news. What takes its place is something along the lines of 'England is not a christian country' (bah humbug).

I have a list of things I see wrong with this:
1. What happened to all the "these bloody foreigners coming over here with their strange beliefs and ruining the country" talk?
2. We're in a democracy (supposedly, see previous post on the subject) and as such the majority vote is the ruling one.
Britain is mostly Christian and as such Cameron is pleasing the majority (which is very good of him).

It's a very short list as you can see but this is a case of the media getting bored and making something larger than it needs to be.
How are we meant to get anywhere towards improving the country if every time something is done (or not done as is the case with this story) someone has their credibility attacked. Don't get me wrong, Cameron is a twat who is now pulling out all the semi-decent policies to get voters for next year after cocking everything up in the previous few years. But at the same time I dislike the media more and feel that they are the real oppressors in society.
I do something nice for once and still you hate me?